perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Re: bwctl 1.5.1 release

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Re: bwctl 1.5.1 release

  • From: Alan Whinery <>
  • To: Performance Node Users <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Re: bwctl 1.5.1 release
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 07:54:23 -1000

One nit, after spending some time messing about with bwctl 1.5.1 --

The existence of a "-n (number of tests)" arg in bwtraceroute
effectively masks "-n (don't do name resolution)" in tracepath and
traceroute. With many (most?) paths including a hop with some proportion
of hops with no associated reverse DNS record, doing name resolutions
can increase the trace* time-to-complete by several orders of magnitude,
so it's good to be able to send traceroute/tracepath a "-n". This
creates issues when the extra time stacks up across multiple traces, and
if you really want names at some point you could resolve them from the
collected IP addresses.

I suggest adding a bwctl switch which tells the tool in question to
not-resolve, not necessarily "-n" itself, like "--no-dns" .