perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Precautions when upgrading CentOS-6.5 i386 and x86_64 (pS Performance Toolkit 3.3.x)

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Precautions when upgrading CentOS-6.5 i386 and x86_64 (pS Performance Toolkit 3.3.x)

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: "" <>, perf-node-users Users <>, "" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Precautions when upgrading CentOS-6.5 i386 and x86_64 (pS Performance Toolkit 3.3.x)
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 09:50:30 -0500

Greetings;

See below for a note from the CentOS project (upstream provider of the
operating system that the pS Performance Toolkit uses) related to new
versions of the base software. This has two implications for the pSPT
community:

1) It has come to our attention via some testing of this upgrade that there
are conflicts with some of the perl libraries that will require manual action
on the part of Toolkit deployers. The pSPT team is working to address these
with our own software release, but in the meantime we suggest that
administrators do the following when upgrading:

> yum --exclude=perl* update

This will allow an upgrade of all packages on the host, with the exception of
the perl libraries that we have identified conflicts. Upgrading the perl
packages will result in some of the base perfSONAR software being unable to
operate. We apologize for any trouble this will cause, and will advise the
community of a proper fix when one is available.

2) There will be a new kernel available for CentOS 6 / pSPT 3.3.x. If you
are a NetInstall user running any version of the Toolkit, a 'yum update' may
give you a new non-web100 kernel and therefore break access to NDT/NPAD.
Consult our FAQ for more
info:http://psps.perfsonar.net/toolkit/FAQs.html#Q30. The curious can find
the CVE here:

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2013-1645.html

Our read of the CVE indicates that if you are using UDP offload (a rare
setting that is not enabled by default) there is a risk of exploit via remote
DDoS to gain entry to the system. If you haven't enabled this, you should
not be vulnerable. We are in the process of building and testing a new
kernel, and will alert you when we have our web100 patched version available.
We'll try to have it ready as soon as possible.

Thanks, and let us know if there are any questions or concerns.

-jason

Begin forwarded message: