perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] pitfall with prefix and netmask

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] pitfall with prefix and netmask

  • From: Joseph Bernard <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] pitfall with prefix and netmask
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 14:55:12 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I just troubleshot an issue with my ifcfg file with a conflict between PREFIX
and NETMASK. When you do a NetInstall and specify a static IP, you will use
NetworkManager and have to specify a PREFIX. If you use
nptoolkit-configure.py or setup to configure the same network interface
later, it will insert a NETMASK. PREFIX will override NETMASK. If the
network has a different subnet mask, you will have issues. I deleted the
PREFIX line to fix my issue. Just something everyone might want to watch out
for. If you use DHCP, this is not an issue.

Thanks,
Joseph B.

  • [perfsonar-user] pitfall with prefix and netmask, Joseph Bernard, 09/04/2013