perfsonar-user - Gaps in data

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Gaps in data

  • From: jim warner <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Gaps in data
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:30:19 -0800

It has been mentioned before on this list that sometimes bwctl has a port contention
hiccup and no data results for a scheduled test. That is old news.
And sometimes tests fail because the remote server is down. Such is
real life.
But what I've noticed is that the way that the perfSONAR graphing routines
deal with missing data is pretty strange. I was going to attach a picture to
my post, but I don't know whether I can do that through this list. My sample
is at:

http://noc.ucsc.edu/missingdays.PNG

This plot looks absolutely clean and wonderful -- until you look carefully at
the values along the X-axis and see that four days are missing between Feb
11 and Feb 15.
I have to say that I'm in the habit of flipping quickly through graphs and having
my attention drawn to anomalies. And I don't want the bumps and warts
hidden in the style of these graphs. The bumps and warts are important data.

-jim warner, UCSC