perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] An Error is occured during start oppd.pl

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] An Error is occured during start oppd.pl

  • From: Jochen Reinwand <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] An Error is occured during start oppd.pl
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:31:25 +0200

Hi!

On Tuesday 01 September 2009,

wrote:
> apt-get install perfsonar-oppd-bwctl
>
> and i can't find where the WebAdmin package is. so i skipped it,

There is indeed no WebAdmin package at the moment. We hope that it will be
available in the near future.

> when i typed ./oppd.pl -nopidfile -nologfile,
> then i met this message.
>
> Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at ./oppd.pl line 189.
>
> what's this error?

This is caused by two errors:

- The error message is caused by an error in the configuration file. The
service section is missing. Not really surprising since you don't have the
WebAdmin to ease configuration. I'm not the main developer of oppd, who is
ill
for a longer period, but I'm trying to help you. I don't see any useful
example in the included example configuration file and somehow the
documentation is also missing. I've attached a documentation in HTML format
and an example BWCTL configuration section. I hope this helps!

- The second error is, of course, that oppd is giving you a cryptic error
message instead of a message like "No services specified in config file".
This
is already fixed in our subversion repository, but is not in the current
stable release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

cheers,
Jochen

--
Jochen Reinwand, DFN-Labor
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg

www.win-labor.dfn.de

Title: B<oppd.conf> - configuration file for perfsonar.pl

NAME

oppd.conf - configuration file for perfsonar.pl

DESCRIPTION

The oppd.conf configuration file is divided in two parts. The first part describes the general options which apply to the oppd.pl daemon script. The second part contains sections with specific information for each service. Comments are indidcated by a leading '#'.

GENERAL OPTIONS

All general options can be specified as command line options also. The boolean values are considered true, when specified on the command line. For example if you specify '-nologfile', it would mean the same as writing 'nologfile 1' in this configuration file. All possible options are listed in oppd.conf. The syntax for general options is a pair of key and value either seperated by one or more whitspaces, or by '='.

SPECIFIC SECTIONS

This section has an entry for each service served by the perfSONAR daemon. These entries are necessary for the daemon to load the service specific modules. Each entry is enclosed in a <service> tag. The tag also contains the unique(!) name of the service defined by this section (SERVICE_NAME). This configuration file style is similar to the Apache style configuration files. The SERVICE_NAME correlates to the URL the service will be available at. E.g, MP/BWCTL means that the service can be reached via /services/MP/BWCTL. Normally this should (but does not have to) also correlate to the module name (MODULE_NAME), in this case MP::BWCTL. Servicetype, name, description, and metric are information provided to the Lookup Service.

Some of the parameters have different meanings for different service types and not all parameters are applicable for all services. In the case of BWCTL, tool and command are all the same, namely „bwctl“. As it could be possible to have more than one eventtype per service, more then one eventtype can be specified. The same holds true for the metric parameter. Special configuration parameters for a specific service type are normally provided in the nested element <module_param>. Please have a look at the examples below for further information.

Note that if you have to enter a binary to be executed (often necessary for MPs, like bwctl) and the binary is not in the search path, you have to provide a full path to the binary, otherwise the service will not be able to execute the command.

FORMAT AND VALUES

<service SERVICE_NAME>

    module         MODULE_NAME
    <module_param>
    </module_param>
    servicetype    SERVICE_TYPE
    name           DESCRIPTIVE_NAME
    description    DESCRIPTIVE_TEXT
    metric         METRIC_NAME_1
    metric         METRIC_NAME_2
    metric         METRIC_NAME_N
    tool           TOOL_NAME
    command        COMMAND_BINARY
    eventtype      EVENTTYPE_1
    eventtype      EVENTTYPE_2
    eventtype      EVENTTYPE_N

</service SERVICE_NAME>

EXAMPLES

MP example:

<service MP/BWCTL>

  module        MP::BWCTL       #name of module to load
  servicetype   MP              #servicetype: MP or MA
#name and description, will be reported to Lookup Server
  name          "BWCTL Measurement Point"
  description   "Measurement Point for doing on-demand BWCTL tests"

#measurement metric(s): (More than one element definition possible)
metric"bandwidth"

  tool          "bwctl"         #tool name

#list of supported eventtypes: (More than one element definition possible) eventtype "bwctl" eventtype "http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/tools/bwctl/2.0/" eventtype "http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/tools/iperf/2.0/" eventtype "http://schemas.perfsonar.net/tools/admin/selftest/1.0" eventtype "http://schemas.perfsonar.net/tools/admin/echo/2.0"

#command to execute e.g. "/usr/bin/bwctl" or "/bin/bwctl". Omitting path, #searches $PATH command "bwctl"

</service MP/BWCTL>

MA example:

<service MA/HADES/GEANT>

  module        MA::Hades
#add parameters for module: modules_param block with key and value pairs
  <module_param>
                config  "geant"
                wwwdir  "/data/hades/geant/www"
                datadir "/data/hades/geant/data"
  </module_param>
  servicetype   MA
  name          "Hades Measurement Archive"
  description   "Measurement Archive for Hades (OWD, OWDV, Packet Loss) data \
                 from measurement points in the GEANT network"
  metric        "one way delay"
  metric        "one way delay variation"
  metric        "packet loss"
  eventtype     "hades_aggregated"
  eventtype     "hades_raw"
  eventtype     "select"
  eventtype     "ippm_aggregated"
  eventtype     "store"
  eventtype     "http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/tools/hades/";
  eventtype     "http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/characteristic/delay/summary/";
  eventtype     "http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/characteristic/delay/one-way/";
  eventtype     "http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/ops/select/";
  eventtype     "http://schemas.perfsonar.net/tools/admin/selftest/1.0";
  eventtype     "http://schemas.perfsonar.net/tools/admin/echo/2.0";

</service MA/HADES/GEANT>

SEE ALSO

oppd.pl

AUTHORS

DFN Labor Erlangen,

# BWCTL MP example configuration (Version 0.51): #

<service MP/BWCTL>

module MP::BWCTL #name of module to load
servicetype MP #servicetype: MP or MA
#name and description, will be reported to Lookup Server
name "BWCTL Measurement Point"
description "Measurement Point for doing on-demand BWCTL tests"

#measurement metric(s): (More than one element definition possible)
metric "bandwidth"

tool "bwctl" #tool name

<module_param>
#enable/disable store functionality: when enabled, service sends results of
#measurements to a SQL MA pointed to in store_url
store 1
store_url "http://www.mySQL-MA:8090";
#command to execute e.g. "/usr/bin/bwctl" or "/bin/bwctl". Omitting path,
#searches $PATH
command "bwctl"

</module_param>
keyword "LHC-OPN"

</service MP/BWCTL>

  • Re: [perfsonar-user] An Error is occured during start oppd.pl, Jochen Reinwand, 09/01/2009