perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] Installation in a closed network.

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] Installation in a closed network.

  • From: "Cabeza de Baca, Matthew" <>
  • To: "''" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] Installation in a closed network.
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:16:45 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Thank you for your quick reply.

I don't mind getting dirty.

I can will contact you directly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Zurawski
[mailto:]

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:04 AM
To: Cabeza de Baca, Matthew

Hi
;

> Hello all.
>
> I have been trying to setup PerfSonar in a couple of formats and have a
> couple of issues that I need to work around and maybe you all can help.
>
> First, I work for an organization that has a substantial and complex MAN
> and these are the perfect tools for our needs.
>
> I currently have 2 bootable CD installations (2.0)- with several more to
> come -and am working on a perfsonar server via the RPM's. My goal is to
> get the RPM sever to be the local root, LS and MA server for my Local
> Domain, and use the Bootable CD's out in the field.
>
> None of the servers can access the internet, we are fully blocked outbound
> to the interent and don't resolve external DNS which tends to break things.
> I may be able to use a Proxy server to get one server internet access, but
> this is a strech and may well annoy our security guys.
>
> I have followed the instructions but have had no joy setting the PerfSonar
> up locally, the bootable CD's report "Internal Error: Try again later" when
> i goto "Global set of Services" page and the perfSONAR-BUOY Mesh page
> reports "Cannot contact perfSONAR Root".
>
> The NPAD, NDAT, and OWAMP work just fine, which is a great start (awesome
> tools by the way).
>
> I poked around the code in the directory.cgi, called in the Global set of
> services, and the error looks like a default message if the roots can not
> be contacted.
>
> So what do I need to do to monitor the multiple links on my MAN and not
> contact the global servers?
>
> I don't find any instructions for this. Everything seems to assume that
> the Global servers are in the mix.

The actual monitoring tools (SNMP MA, perfSONAR-BUOY) and measurement
tools (bwctl/owamp/ndt) should continue to work in a local setting. The
information service tools (LS, the scripts you spoke of) were all
designed with having access to the world in mind.

I think we can work with you to get these to work in a local setting,
but it will require getting your hands a little dirty (if you are not
opposed to such things). Specifically we can help you set up a 'global'
lookup server to act as the local root on your main system, then get all
of the other services and cgis to talk to this directly.

Let me know what you think, we can also probably take further
discussions off-list.

Thanks;

-jason

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidential or privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy the message.