perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] how and were to start with perfSONAR?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] how and were to start with perfSONAR?

  • From: Fausto Vetter <>
  • To: Peter Tavenier <>
  • Cc: , Domenico Vicinanza <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] how and were to start with perfSONAR?
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 17:05:25 +0000

Hi Peter Tavenier,

Answers go inline.

Peter Tavenier wrote:

Hi everybody,

My name is Peter Tavenier and I'm working at SARA Computing & Networking
Services. I'm working on a project were I'm looking at perfSONAR for
monitoring.
I need to set this up, but I'm quite confused by all the different version I
see.

If I understand it correctly perfSONAR is just a protocol developed by the
perfSONAR community (all parties working on perfSONAR), so different
implementations/services are able communicate with each other. Is this
correct?
perfSONAR is a protocol that is being defined by the perfSONAR working group, as you say. Also, perfSONAR is a set of tools that are being developed by this group and it is useful for multi-domain monitoring.

As you mention, different implementation should talk to each other. They some times might differ from each other on some aspects, but they should be somehow inter-operable.

On the download page of the perfSONAR wiki
(http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/PerfSONAR_Downloads) I see
several services, but also bundle releases.
For more precise information, I would suggest you to check the perfsonar website: http://www.perfsonar.net/

There you find a list of software that can be downloaded for usage.
I'm not sure what would be the best way to start with perfSONAR. When I search
for perfSONAR, I find the most info about Internet2 and GEANT2 JRA1. Are this
two totally different perfSONAR releases?
They are different releases: one is mainly managed by Geant2 and the other by Internet2.

And if so, what are the major focuses
of this releases or differences?
Geant2 implementation:
- based on java
- offers bwctl tests
- looking glass functionality
- lookup service
- rrd-ma service to expose interface information
- authentication service
- developed/maintained/supported by geant2 partners

Internet2 implementation:
- based on perl
- supported by Internet2
- offers similar services, but written in perl
Is

the same mailing list as
?

I hope somebody can give me a push in the right direction.

Kind regards,

Peter Tavenier
By the way, to start learning about perfSONAR and its idea, I would start by reading a deliverable available at: http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/images/9/95/GN2-05-057v5.pdf

More documents can be found at: