perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Perfsonar client

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Perfsonar client

  • From: Dan Gunter <>
  • To: Jay Packard <>
  • Cc: , , Richard Carlson <>, "McKee, Shawn" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Perfsonar client
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:47:13 -0800

Hi Jay,

On Feb 9, 2009, at 11:48 AM, Jay Packard wrote:

Thanks for getting back so quickly, Jason. Perl would definitely be helpful, but Java would be the most helpful. Do you have a client written in Java? I'll subscribe to the dev list.
Dan, could you please tell me a little about the gridftp work you are doing in conjunction with Perfsonar? I don't want to duplicate your work. Perhaps I could assist in your work. Are you actually starting test gridftp transfers or just monitoring an existing production system? In the former case, I imagine something like BWCTL but for gridftp instead.

It's the latter. Specifically, my interest is to provide a perfSONAR interface to gridftp data in a database. The database has its own schema, and is populated by mining logs on production systems, which includes gridftp (and SRM (bestman)) transfer information. Even if this was useful to you (which I don't think it is), I haven't gotten very far with this work yet.

Best of luck,

-Dan

Thanks,
Jay

Jason Zurawski wrote:
Hey Jay;

Perfsonar developers,

I'm brand new to this list. Rich Carlson pointed me your way. I'm interested in writing a client running in MonaLisa that collects bandwidth information and then graphs them in Monalisa primarily on behalf of usatlas. We have a Perfsonar installation here at BNL that I plan to query against.
I've having trouble navigating your site. Could you point me to the source of a complete client that I could model my client after (if one exists)?

I have a series of CGI scripts that I use right now for client functionalities:

http://www.perfsonar.net/activeServices

These use an API written in perl so if you are interested I can most certainly pass these your way and offer any help on their use.

Also, a heads up: if the usatlas throughput committee decides on it, I would also like to develop a service that provides gridftp information through the personar protocol. We're not sure on the source of data, whether that be by performing gridftp tests and collecting the output statistics, by collecting data from a monitoring solution such as netflow, or collecting data from FTS logs. Once we've decided, I hope to get some tips on doing this as well.

Subscribing to would be a good start for developer-ish talk. I believe we do have an effort started on something very similar to what you are proposing (analyzing the gridftp logs specifically), I am CCing Dan Gunter from LBL who may know a little about what is going on specifically with that project.

Thanks;

-jason