perfsonar-dev - Re: [pS-dev] performance tests for lookup service

Subject: perfsonar development work

Re: [pS-dev] performance tests for lookup service

  • From: Slawomir Trzaszczka <>
  • To: Antoine Delvaux <>
  • Cc: "" <>, Maciej Glowiak <>
  • Subject: Re: [pS-dev] performance tests for lookup service
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:52:57 +0100

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 16:12 +0000, Antoine Delvaux wrote:
> Hi Slawek,
>
> Indeed, interesting work and results. We can say that pSbase2 is about 2
> times more efficient than pSbase1, so we're already hoping for pSbase10 ;-)
>
> I guess you performed those tests in a serial fashion: doing all
> registrations, than all queries, then all deregistrations. Would doing it
> in a more random fashion (registrations, queries and deregistrations not
> happening all together), more similar to real world usage, change the
> result pattern?

No,

In registration I registered 150 x 100 or 150 x 500 or 100 x 1000
services.
Next steps (querying/deregistrations) based on first step (database
contains data from registration step).
Next I done query/deregistration on some selected elements. List of this
elements was constant but after every test. database was dropped.

I can perform some "chain of operation" (registration, query,
deregistration) with control parameters and test it. For example
(R-Registering,Q-querying,D-deregistering)

--------------------------------
loop N-iteration:
begin
end

finally:
D for all registered
--------------------------------

Regards,

Slawek

> You say the bottleneck is eXistDB, would it be possible to make a prototype
> using some other DB engine like Postgresql to see if there could be any
> other performance gain. Or does our code uses advanced XML functions only
> provided by eXistDB?
>
> Beste regards,
> --
> Antoine Delvaux Systems Engineer
> DANTE Skype: toninb
> http://www.dante.net Tel: +221.778197275
> PGP fingerprint: DC65 0D8B 6938 9229 33C3 18CA 4EB6 09D3 A333 3378

Slawomir Trzaszczka

Poznan Supercomputing & Networking Center