perfsonar-announce - Re: [perfsonar-announce] DEFCON Presentation on perfSONAR Vulnerabilities

Subject: perfSONAR Announcements

Re: [perfsonar-announce] DEFCON Presentation on perfSONAR Vulnerabilities

  • From: Luke Young <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-announce] DEFCON Presentation on perfSONAR Vulnerabilities
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 22:19:40 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:CcHlYx1YfWN/J1qIsmDT+DRfVm0co7zxezQtwd8ZsesfIvad9pjvdHbS+e9qxAeQG96Eu7QZ0KGP7ujJYi8p39WoiDg6aptCVhsI2409vjcLJ4q7M3D9N+PgdCcgHc5PBxdP9nC/NlVJSo6lPwWB6i760TlHUA3yLwRuIeL8AMvPlMmt/+G055DJZQhU3nywba44ZEGuoB/frc4QiJEnN7080DPIpGdFYeJb2TkuKF6OyUXS/MC1qbp+8CkYivU88cEIBaD3V64/V7FUSjkgPGEz6cDx40qQBTCT72cRBz1F2iFDBBLIuUn3

Hi [perfsonar-user],

I was only just recently made aware of the message that went out to [perfsonar-announce] regarding my DEFCON talk and I wanted to apologize since it seems some people were unnecessarily alarmed by it.

As Mark pointed out all of the vulnerabilities discussed in the talk have been patched and if your system is set to auto-update (which I highly recommend) you were already protected.

Much of the confusion comes from the final slide of the linked PDF slides which indicates some of the issues are "unresolved". This is not correct and is an unfortunate side-effect of the DEFCON process where the initial presentation slides used during the call for papers application are uploaded to the site instead of the final slides. This slide was updated well before the actual presentation and correctly indicated the issues were fixed at the dates Mark mentioned.

Finally, I wanted to note that the perfSONAR team was absolutely wonderful to work with and had an incredible response time to these issues when they were reported. I've reported security issues to a large number of vendors and was pleasantly surprised by the response from the team, good job! While I mentioned this in-person at the end of my talk it doesn't appear in the previously mentioned PDF which is the only public record of the talk (video coming at some point in the future) so I wanted to acknowledge the team here as well.

Best,
Luke Young