performingarts - Performing Arts Meeting Notes

Subject: Performing Arts Advisory

Performing Arts Meeting Notes

  • From: Ann Doyle <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Claudio Allocchio <>, , , , , ,
  • Subject: Performing Arts Meeting Notes
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:40:21 -0400

Hello all  --  Here is my best attempt to capture our meeting last week.  Please feel free to reply with additions/corrections.   Also, those cc'd I believe are not in the Performing Arts Advisory email group.  Let me know if you would like to be added (it's fairly low traffic).   It was great to be with so many of you in person, and I am particularly pleased with the increasing interest in international collaborations!    All best.   -- Ann

Performing Arts Advisory Group meeting
Tuesday, October 6
2009 Internet2 Fall Member Meeting
San Antonio

In attendance:
Claudio Allocchio, GARR
Paul Bauer, Northern Illinois University (remote)
Tim Boundy, JANET(UK)
Tereza Carvalho, RNP (FAPESP)
Alan Crosswell, Columbia University
Tom Fryer, GEANT/DANTE
Kirty Guster, Australian National University
Gary Haggerty, Berklee College of Music
Tom Knab, Case Western Reserve University
Greg Palmer, MAGPI
Brain Quigley, Sunesys, LLC
Brian Shepard, University of Southern California (remote)
Lloyd Shorter, University of Delaware (remote)

Brian Shepard announced the pending release of his year-long project, EchoDamp!!  www.echodamp.com By clicking on the mixing board diagram, an online tour of EchoDamp features is available.   This will greatly benefit our community by providing a user-friendly way to in manage echo in live performing arts events over advanced networks.  University of Southern California's Stevens Institute for Innovation will license the software and has agreed to release it at no charge to educational institutions.   Thank you Brian for this great contribution to our community!!

Paul Bauer met with us remotely and served as a case study for setting up an institution to work with multiple collaborators with varying technologies.   Paul has successfully wired two performance halls at Northern Illinois University's School of Music with HD cameras, webcast capabilities, DVTS, ConferenceXP, and an HD Polycom unit.   Congratulations to NIU School of Music and feel free to contact Paul if you are interested in collaborating with NIU.  "Paul Bauer" <>

Claudio Allocchio presented a status report on development efforts for LOLA - the low latency A/V communication tool for networked musical performance. The codec latency of this software is a remarkable 5 milliseconds.  Notably, this application currently requires a dedicated circuit to reduce network latency.  Claudio will keep us posted when developers are ready for testing locations.

Lloyd Shorter joined us remotely to discuss an upcoming event with Philip Glass, 8:00 p.m. 6 March 2010.   This will be a first-ever performance of Persephone" with the Philadelphia Singers.  Plans are underway to netcast the performance from the Annenberg Center on the University of Pennsylvania campus.   Lloyd also updated us on plans for Philadelphia's 2011 Festival with Paris and new music group Relache's plans to compose and perform live music during a showing of a silent film in Paris.

We welcomed Gary Haggerty from Berklee College of Music, Internet2's newest member in the performing arts realm.  Among many initiatives requiring Internet2 and partners, Berklee has plans to open a campus in Valencia Spain and will plan to work simultaneously with students on both campuses.

Kirsty Guster updated us on Australia's 17 regional conservatories and their project plans with Manhattan School of Music.   Kirsty just spent two weeks working with Christianne Orto at Manhattan School of Music to set project goals and learn the production environment.  Australia National University' primary platform for this project will be Polycom HD.

Tereza Carvalho just successfully completed her the first master class between the University of Sao Paulo and Texas Christian University, working with José Feghali.  They used Conference XP and had a successful experience.  Congratulations Tereza, and note, we now have a collaborator in Brazil!

Tim Boundy spoke of his plans to connect the Royal Shakespeare company.  He was very inspired by the Philadelphia Orchestra's Global Concert Series and would like to model some of RSC's work after this.   The initial goal is to enable RSC to work between London and Stratford.

Ann Doyle announced a new Arts & Humanities Events Calendar:  http://www.internet2.edu/arts/  To add events, click on the calendar icon, which will take you to a wiki environment.   In the upper right hand corner, click on login and you will be prompted to sign up for an account.

As we ran out of time for more discussion, note that others attending the meeting expressed interest in further discussions and collaboration.

--
Ann Doyle, Sr. Program Manager
Arts & Humanities Initiatives, Internet2

Fall 2009 Internet2 Member Meeting, October 5-8
Hosted by the University of Texas at San Antonio and LEARN
http://events.internet2.edu/2009/fall-mm/