ntacpeering - Notes from 9/17/24 Peering & Routing SIG

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Notes from 9/17/24 Peering & Routing SIG

  • From: "Schmiedt, Dan" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Notes from 9/17/24 Peering & Routing SIG
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 20:53:59 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=tamu.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=tamu.edu; dkim=pass header.d=tamu.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector10001; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=1eGPJJoILc0WsWRw2tgTeSFk+OJRBeDLfTXjS5O9xEw=; b=hWM3w3zbMF1GL/wkOEaSIVZOZKqqZKwhwLVxUf25Zu8WOY3t79SU3ttAb8XoOVTC47U1rVbRzOREIkPmSEmBDv4zZ+WWgQjq4l5hDYRdWCW0gqIKDoJdxC85e6wHs0AEQRjCQvU+u3Zenzt2j/YBlWidgzRLYmFs5LQC27xwC6FSBzuqGE2evSq9gja3gm1VrYhEvtbSE4VGBJ96Y/7Dp/89Q6HM/g6XH8gahNLFfU7Muk7/IBldEiuOyckB0PL6ltmULau5AM3+BjRNaNqySzp8NtEFs8DFNy0c5xpovgIfbVx+V4MWA6ygfzjxVLzg0LGjmbe1E7xqmy6JpnjsDQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=hmdQz0z5t5U1MfB43F2ZfhGGhmclEGV0trUI8ii5S9JI/ONJ/Bq3Nh+dX9DmHEylPtLPWatREglnd72UWxQHz2/uvWaKom49uewTCSMv2WzbiyfJVLEeE5SkIiFVMapm5DsDs0h+IGr3/1T3dpTWpQtgAkJSE2ZzpT0ZBJHSW6xH5vfKukehqsH2BZwqkaoK8V2tDCMQxpB4o73Lqab+nBbQGY6n/jB1SKmRUbJWafz3l+oqUvxJwVx3euRhmbXTbW5gTMiwRUFO2J6OqvNfN0z89mWYl+iqeTy2OMajGedZbEzmaS+jiAU97yviibnWTFGmmkAmfDhGHpJHMCIk7A==

  1. Agenda Bash
  1. Nothing bashed
Update on peering and I2PX
  1. Semesters are underway – no significant abnormalities noted.
  2. Capacity augments
  1. New 100G with Cloudflare in LA
  2. European Peering Forum is underway.  Amazon an gave interesting presentation there.  Some takeaways –
  1. 400G link speed is what Amazon wants to see with all peers
  2. Less than 12 months away from no more 10G peers
  3. (I2PX has a couple of Nx10G that are being deprecated)
  4. All amazon routers are 400G ports, so 10G links really waste 400G ports
  5. Amazon is opposed to route-servers at public exchanges.
  6. Amazon does not plan to turn up peerings at any new Internet exchanges
  7. Had a “list of demands” from existing exchanges, things like
  1. Meetings
  2. Netflow tools, etc
  3. Better handling of abuse issues, etc
Jeff has reached out to contacts at Amazon to understand timeline for 400G Jeff is looking at statistics and network analytics.
  1. For last 10 years, I2 has used Deepfield for netflow analysis.  Takes approach of storing aggregated data, not flows per se.
  2. I2 is discontinuing Deepfield license at end of month, so exploring other options like Kentik, which has some interesting dashboards.
  3. Looking for feedback on tools that others find useful – or what would be useful to community members.
  4. One member noted that Kentik’s dashboards do not seem to match with reality.  Discussion on reliability of netflow tools – most are not capable of high fidelity/accuracy.
  5. Question about I2’s relationship with NetSage.  Jeff noted that NetSage would be complimentary.  I2 taking a lead in MetrANOVA project, see https://internet2.edu/new-consortium-metranova-to-create-a-measurement-and-analysis-toolbox/
  6. One member noted that Kentik is very useful for DDoS detection and similar events.
  7. Please let Jeff know if any additional thoughts on Kentik or other Netflow tools
Jeff demonstrated a Grafana table that gives stats on I2PX peers and POPs.  Hopes to be able to make similar dashboards available to the community at large. Network Weather Update – Trends and Coming Events
  1. Semester start – nothing new/abnormal really noted.  Kentik/similar tools may give better visibility in future.
  2. Discussion: Kentik supposed to have “CDN sauce” – not sure if this would provide insight.  Learns about CDN nodes through DNS.
  3. Discussion: There was a question on NTAC about a bunch of UDP traffic that MERIT saw – UDP/1505.  Sourced from Amazon/Cloudfront.  Entered I2 and fanned out to many institutions, going to specific hosts for significant amounts of times.  From ~1mb/s to much higher streams.  Campuses that had higher flow rates were usually headed to a NAT.  Vanished after a couple of hours. Discussion.  No information as to what the traffic was.
Internet2 Network Updates
  1. Finished Ashburn Hardware migration – success.
Campus border route policy best practices
  1. No additional progress.  Expect an update soon.
Peering & Routing SIG meeting at TechX
  1. Nothing noted but Dan asked SIG members to be thinking about what we should cover in a F2F meeting in December.
Any other business?
  1. None.

-Dan

  • Notes from 9/17/24 Peering & Routing SIG, Schmiedt, Dan, 09/17/2024