ntacpeering - Notes from 4/16 NTAC Peering & Routing SIG call

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Notes from 4/16 NTAC Peering & Routing SIG call

  • From: "Schmiedt, Dan" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Notes from 4/16 NTAC Peering & Routing SIG call
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:05:28 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=tamu.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=tamu.edu; dkim=pass header.d=tamu.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=hHaKV+pNzq/2J0dAHhh7j1t2VW1Dp5LEwGnSL5q6Xzo=; b=GBPmF8Q1CDb2w/pXdAZTO/vXvmqq6wuwYPwvWzNymN3HJwtMzHVdOfyEy4R8jJpwJOHSdHFhqokW2brEll5lK3m1K9PoB++7zSRTttXSRkgZpniIuectSqYrYKH8+21z52Sev7s1p0fo1Iw2f1j90NWa8XTJR+glsXIjWbt5HfN9ADbj09+MPnKGTlBzZrO6YM6zOhnMyhZtHhJ6Nd71tIrdCD0JVyUN6gOcx7Tl7/Te3oFwp9yv6nXFWJyWBxwyGw7gaO5OXsQb55fsVY9zeA1ST+zSF+HCnK0cEIDMSg+lchdeRqaFTInYV0iW8kpb21aZmiVd2BQZO8mpzY9Ruw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=oIFP58pHv+yLrDeUx4iggV0Kgcs2N5a3mk3FVE8+D0tYoH32BZrd2N9iea8Bri00t5Mc1xMe1RC0zm4TIIwf+O3hGCAcW9Agv7Vio4Zjll1+qeB091dQuW+g5VDraj91rIssHlxBjpet67nhSuJMN1mcmyOpEZiY8tj2dqXazH+qodsV4w9AOgxjyu8P1T8EW48irFjjhBp4SqxAyrMgOBxUmJAPyj7PxBHlUxuEFaDV8DVT8TeGDoFXu49kMOvcu9RHAlUIC4lAps0oymHRn/wE9Cnq3+9xzIXiagQkTb50YKDoHDpN0+uvvFdGj6YU3SQTNcO29AyMFXzcXFhSYA==

  1. Agenda Bash
  1. There was no bashing of the agenda.
Update on peering and I2PX
  1. I2 added peering with ByteDance (TikTok parent) in all 7 metros via the public exchanges in early March.  Discussing 100G PNIs in the future.  Jeff noted that it’s always an Interesting discussion with new potential peers as they usually check for exchange with I2 ASN and do not initially see traffic.  Once they understand what networks/institutions I2 aggregates, the conversation often changes.  Around 70G aggregate traffic to ByteDance.
  2. Dan Kirkland – schedule on getting commercial peers out of r&e route table?  Likely in early August.  Discussion of shifting traffic to I2PX in advance – get in touch if this would be helpful.  Amazon is already in both for example.
  1. Feedback to Jeff – early August should be the end of the moves as opposed to the beginning, with semesters starting in August.
I2 is adding a new POP in 165 Halsey in NYC, replacing Digital Realty at 111 8th Ave, which was bought by Google, who is asking folks to leave.  Network Weather Update – Trends and Coming Events
  1. Saw increase in traffic likely due to end of spring break.  Nothing else noted.
Internet2 Network Updates
  1. Looking at adding a new chassis type in I2 POPs, NCS 57 series.
  1. Background-  8201’s initially deployed with NextGen – good 400G port density.  Also have 8202’s – used for connecting with commercial peers.  Has better 100G port density.
  2. Ran into issues with missing feature – traffic shaping per VLAN.  Affects CloudConnect offerings when clients connect at a specific rate.  I2 agreed to shape before traffic hits clod providers.
  3. Cisco loaned NCS 55A1box to do this shaping.
  4. Cisco has concluded that will not ever support shaping on 8201’s, so looking at NCS 57 series.  The NCS is an IOSXR box, but generally merchant silicon.
Campus border route policy best practices
  1. Some have memories of BGP Cookbook from early I2 days.  Does anyone remember it or have a copy?  BGP Tutorials at Joint Techs.
  2. Jeff Bartog will begin putting together best practices.  Please reach out to Jeff if you can provide examples or ideas.
  3. Vendor-specific?  Yes, since number of vendors is small – Cisco, Juniper, Nokia, Arista (sorta).
  4. Farmer – could we set up a virtual lab for training?  Perhaps in conjunction with BGP Workshop at TechX.  Discussion.
Any other business?
  1. Farmer – How did I2 resolve international peering issues previously discussed?  There were some routes I2 was not accepting.  APAN has direct peering but is pre-pending.  APAN routes also available through TransPac, where they are not pre-pending.  So I2 is sending traffic that way.  Jeff will be having discussions with peers to discuss use of communities, etc to control routing vs. pre-pending.  Should be careful with any domestic route learned through international peers.
  2. Hopefully BGP Cookbook and Tutorials as discussed will help with similar issues in the future.  Some ideas were generated:
  1. Be sure to include BGP regular expressions that will help find suspicious things to investigate.
  2. List of community strings in use would also be helpful.
  3. A tool section is important.

-Dan and Tony

  • Notes from 4/16 NTAC Peering & Routing SIG call, Schmiedt, Dan, 04/16/2024