ntacpeering - Re: Internet2/Microsoft peering consolidation to TR-CPS

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: Internet2/Microsoft peering consolidation to TR-CPS

  • From: Jeff Bartig <>
  • To: NTAC <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Internet2/Microsoft peering consolidation to TR-CPS
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 08:55:35 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:+L6y0h23SVdTm+SVsmDT+DRfVm0co7zxezQtwd8ZsesWKvTxwZ3uMQTl6Ol3ixeRBMOHs6wC07KempujcFRI2YyGvnEGfc4EfD4+ouJSoTYdBtWYA1bwNv/gYn9yNs1DUFh44yPzahANS47xaFLIv3K98yMZFAnhOgppPOT1HZPZg9iq2+yo9JDffwRFiCChbb9uMR67sRjfus4KjIV4N60/0AHJonxGe+RXwWNnO1eelAvi68mz4ZBu7T1et+ou+MBcX6r6eb84TaFDAzQ9L281/szrugLdQgaJ+3ART38ZkhtMAwjC8RH6QpL8uTb0u+ZhxCWXO9D9QLYpUjqg8qhrUgflhjoHOTAn/mHZicJ+g6xUrx2juxN/wpXZb5uJOPdkZK7RYd0XSGpHU81MVyJBGIS8b44XAuQFI+lYoYf9rEYToBSkHwmsGOLvyjBVjXLx3601yP4uERva3AwhENIDq3XUrNPpNKgMS+C1yrfHzSndY/9Mxzjy9ZXIfwknrPqRU7xwds/RxlMuFwPDlliQsZLqMC2P1uQMtWib4PdvWvm1h2E7rAFxpz6izdovhInRno8Z1ErL+TlkzIswONG0VVN3bNuqEJZfqy2WK457T8E8TGxopCo3z7gLtYCncCUF0Jgr2gLTZvOdf4SW7R/uWvydLSp3iX9mYr6zmhS//VWmx+bhTMe7ykxKoTBAktTUtnACyRjT6s+fR/Vl4kqv3iqD2gDK5uxaOE44iLPXK5k6zbEujJYTtlnDHjPtl0Xxka+WcFgr9vKw6+T9ZbXmuoGTOJNoigH/NaQunNazAeMlMggSW2ib/uO81L758ULlR7VKi+U6kqjfsJ/EOcQWvrC1DBVJ3oo+7huzEiqq3MkdkHkJI19JZA6Lgo3rNl7QIP30EfKyjlGynDt3yP3KJrjhDY/MLnjHnrfhZ7F960tExQox1t9Q/YhUCq0AIPL8QULxtdrYDgMnPAyuxeboFsl92p0EVW2RH6CZLbvesUWU6eI3P+mMeIgVtS77K/g5/fHhkWc5lkEDcqmz3JsXbn+4E+9iI0WYenrsnswBHXkQsgo/SuzqlEONUSRVZ3msQ6Iw+Cs3B5y7AofeXoqtmqCO3D+nHp1KYWBLElaMEWvyeIqYQPoMbCOSItR9kjwfS7StUY4h1ReytADk0bpnKPTb+jEGuZ75ytd6+vDTxlkO8mlSM+22mzWLU2h/tmIOWzIs2q1j+wpwxkrVleAyheBRHsRe6ulIVAgSNJjAwvZ8BsyoHA/NY53BHFC6S96+DDwrT9Q+694If0tnHdi+1FbO0zf8UJEPkLneJpE6/Or21mLtJsk1n3TM3bM9jlYOQ81TOHegi7IlsQXfGtiawA2ii6+2ePFEj2b2/2CZwD/WsQ==
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

NTAC,

Following up on my earlier email and discussions we had on recent NTAC and Peering & Routing WG calls, I now have some more details to share on the Microsoft peering changes.

I met with Microsoft at NANOG73 and finalized a plan for moving the existing R&E private interconnects to TR-CPS, adding additional private peering capacity, and eliminating most public peering.  These changes will upgrade us from the current 120G of private interconnect capacity to a new total of 220G.  The plan is to accomplish all of these changes over the coming month.  We are holding off on upgrading the capacity at Palo Alto, since there is a project underway to replace that PoP with a new PoP at Equinix-San Jose.  When the San Jose PoP is online, we will establish private peering with Microsoft at that location.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Jeff

Current R&E Microsoft interconnections:
Ashburn:  40G (2x2x10G)
Chicago:  40G (2x2x10G)
Los Angeles:  20G (2x1x10G)

Current TR-CPS Microsoft Interconnections:
Ashburn:  public peering
Chicago:  public peering
Dallas:  20G (2x1x10G)
Seattle:  public peering
Palo Alto:  public peering
Los Angeles:  public peering

Proposed end state:
Ashburn:  80G (2x4x10G)
New York:  20G (2x1x10G)
Chicago:  40G (2x2x10G)
Dallas:  40G (2x2x10G)
Seattle:  20G (2x1x10G)
Palo Alto:  public peering (keep until move to San Jose)
Los Angeles:  20G (2x1x10G)

Note:  2x4x10G indicates that Microsoft has 2 routers and we have a 4x10G LAG to each of those routers.  Even in cases where there is just a 10G interconnect, it is now common peering practice for that to be configured as a 1x10G LACP LAG to facilitate easier capacity augments in the future.