ntacpeering - Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/03/21)

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/03/21)

  • From: "José A. Domínguez" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/03/21)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:53:56 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Here are my notes for today's meeting. Please feel free to correct any issues I might have mistakenly represented in them.

-----

1. Agenda Bash
2. Update on peering and TR-CPS/I2
  • Added 20G to Google and 20G to Facebook in LA
  • Connected to DCIX in NY as of last week. Contacting possible peers. Capacity is 2x10G
  • Contract negotiations with Equinix continue to sour (maybe move out of Equinix NY. Considering working with Telex)
3. Network Weather Update - Trends and Coming Events
  • March Madness network utilization increases are to be expected
4. RPKI Update
  • Not much progress to report.
5. Network DDoS Scrubbing Service Update
  • Pilot group selected. Linda or George could be contacted for details, if needed.
6. How to deal with the lack of a full routing table on TR-CPS (was: lack of transit on TR-CPS)
  • Issue Occurrence
    • only an issue with connectors/members that receive only a default route from their transit provided and more specifics from I2/TR-CPS
    • some times traffic gets blackholed  by TR-CPS or its peer
    • other times the peer will use their transit to deliver the traffic
  • Possible solutions:
    • members/connectors get full table from their provider
    • TR-CPS gets full routes from a transit provider. Don’t advertise table to customers or advertise customer routes to provider
    • KanREN willing to provide full routes to TR-CPS as long as use is of limited occurrence and issues addressed with the I2 member. Possible issue is KanREN provider having filters in place which might drop the traffic from prefixes other than KanREN’s. Brad to check with his Executive on that possibility and verify with KanREN’s upstreams that prefixes are not being filtered.
  • Discussion as to what are long term solutions
    • Is getting full routes from a transit provider (private or an I2 connector) a good idea?
    • Could we use a local (to TR-CPS) host that somehow injects full routes but does not deliver the traffic and use it for identification of broken configuration
    • Are there any regulatory issues or precedence that we need to be aware of or figure out
    • Internet2 will discuss internally which option would work
    • Investigate what is the number of cases that occur for any given period in order to gauge the size of the problem.
7. AOB

-----

  • Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/03/21), José A. Domínguez, 03/21/2017