ntacpeering - Netflix-TransitRail updates

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Netflix-TransitRail updates

  • From: Jeff Bartig <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Netflix-TransitRail updates
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 15:01:37 -0600

NTAC Peering WG,

I wanted to send out a quick alert about some upcoming TransitRail
Netflix capacity changes and expected higher Netflix traffic over
the next several days.

I've had a recent conversation with Netflix about peering capacity
with TransitRail. The 10G private peering interfaces in Ashburn,
Dallas, and Chicago have been very busy lately.

As a result of the conversation, Netflix and Internet2 are working
on a couple of capacity additions. The top priority will be upgrading
Ashburn to 2x10G and adding a new 10G interconnect in Los Angeles,
where only public peering exists today. This Los Angeles addition
will allow traffic currently being served through Dallas to be
shifted to Los Angeles instead. We are also working on upgrading
Chicago from 10 to 2x10G.

In the interim, we are doing some traffic engineering to better
balance Netflix traffic across the existing interconnects.

Netflix also gave us a head up that they have new TV series releases
happening over the coming weeks that will result in periods of
higher than normal traffic. Tomorrow, Friday, February 27 will be
the release of the new season of House of Cards. TransitRail saw
a 40% increase in evening Netflix traffic at the time of the House
of Cards season 2 release a year ago. The increased traffic lasted
several days.

Jeff

--
Jeff Bartig