ntacpeering - [ntac peering] proposed GRNOC BGP notification change

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

[ntac peering] proposed GRNOC BGP notification change

  • From: Jeff Bartig <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [ntac peering] proposed GRNOC BGP notification change
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:49:51 -0600

I2 NTAC Routing/Peering WG Members,

GRNOC is proposing a change in how Internet2 NOC notifications are
emailed to the OPS lists for outages of multihomed connectors and
peers. Please see below for the details. Feel free to provide
your feedback via the list or on the working group call tomorrow.

Jeff

In an on-going effort of clarity in our communications to the
community from the GRNOC Service Desk, we would like to propose a
change to a our BGP session outage notification process. This
change would only involve eliminating notifications for multi-homed
BGP adjacencies when only a single adjacency with a given service(R&E/TR-
CPS/ION/...) is unavailable; this includes R&E and Commercial Peers
as well as sessions via connectors. The parties with the outage
will continue to see direct communication to restore service as
currently occurs.

The GRNOC feels this change will eliminate unnecessary and unwanted
notifications when a single path to a peer is down, but an alternative
path exists and the BGP peer is still reachable. Notifications for
all other issues will continue as normal. As always all outages
regardless will be posted on our outage/ maintenance calendars
located at: https://tick.globalnoc.iu.edu/fp_tools/cals/public/
Additionally anyone can contact the GRNOC at any time 24x7x365 for
any questions or concerns by calling 317-278-6630

--
Jeff Bartig | University of Wisconsin - Madison

| Division of Information Technology
(608) 262-8336 | Network Services/WAN Engineering/AS59
GTalk/AIM/Yahoo: jbartig | WiscNet Backbone Engineering/AS2381

  • [ntac peering] proposed GRNOC BGP notification change, Jeff Bartig, 02/20/2012