ntacpeering - Re: NTAC Peering call, 10/20/09, 4:00 EDT

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: NTAC Peering call, 10/20/09, 4:00 EDT

  • From: Jeff Bartig <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: NTAC Peering call, 10/20/09, 4:00 EDT
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:54:59 -0500

NTAC and Peering WG Members,

Following up on my own advise to provide feedback, I asked the CIC
OmniPOP Technical Advisory Committee to comment on the proposed
CPS/TR architecture. I've summarized the CIC TAC's feedback
below.

See (hear) you on the call in a few minutes.

Jeff

CIC TAC Feedback on the Proposed CPS/TR Architecture Document

The CIC TAC expresses a strong desire that the openness and
transparency associated with the Internet2 CPS service be continued
in a consolidated service. There is concern about the perceived
lack of transparency with TransitRail (no publicly accessible data,
graphs, router proxy). As the networks are combined, this lack of
access to information will need to be reversed. There is also a
strong desire that there be a method for the community to help
direct the peering strategy, like there has been with CPS.

IPv6 support was not mentioned in the architecture document. While
CPS has good IPv6 connectivity today, TransitRail does not. If we
will be migrating to the TransitRail ASN, it will need to establish
equivalent IPv6 peering before the CPS (AS11537) commercial IPv6
peers are shutdown. IPv6 support is seen as an absolute requirement.
Many CPS participants rely on CPS for either primary or backup
global IPv6 transit.

The CIC TAC looks forward to seeing the complete consolidation
proposal that includes budget and governance details.