ntac-networkautomation - Reminder: NTAC Network Automation SIG Monthly

Subject: NTAC Network Automation Working Group

Reminder: NTAC Network Automation SIG Monthly

  • From: Shannon Byrnes <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Reminder: NTAC Network Automation SIG Monthly
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:18:15 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=internet2.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=internet2.edu; dkim=pass header.d=internet2.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=KxMJWt7mVUf0c38mmRkm0cSJiprU8DQvG1ncv0mGj+I=; b=l7zCMSZBIW50TM+T1aXuCqstL0y2vFdBAMObasDJuy6+Juw/L40fkE4ArOop66niHuQDiMJI8GadY7AZvdZrHnko5A8NxTa9Fm2XZOsKvGSFI9F/QJlMmhOzsJTkOnxCx6Kdf7cocRilSh7srNrq4D56lhuKwGWbLZaFuw3p/C4VrxYSLk98bGSEUhXAWibw14OVDGjE09ta2egtHoZIQ1QdoWKcFi1KQ4zCvisITCQycUXSSiPWC2r/WMDibWT5txdPNb7JcQXa4809I09AmF7xyH7cc9M5cIjzdlatMjLsFyh5pZt1nIuqn3VTzUNJoWMZ5clw1RGZV8gL+LWjDQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=GtkuQ9arJdyHMidoEhVpWgCH6n/hPop8SxlS5XQhzVwEiiXLUlUNix1uKegnY1kH92lhQg3rM/HOzx5w0D8wk30O2I7Sl8KPGQlECKyIMQfyQ23YC7lMHL64rWAkLeBMDGJpnIlesdyQU7FNWBiIaO+LExLoQqr/DRSPLPdi+9uF+9mWPc00xZzat3iM5Zqf7aNhvD8wCWOo3S7wZq010Lmi5lZMIvC/z1Otb+d7OkljSLnpIABPZv9ZXd/rQ/0XE8zCjbNhRLnGxEQvDk0auTDNaXbp2n21gQLYIYHdIwuog+m8KYfCCuqxFDEU4Uy9SX37lRIWZw15+xU2dJlIZw==
  • Msip_labels:

Hi everyone!

Quick reminder: Today at 3PM EST is our next SIG monthly meetup. Our agenda, per usual, is located here. Additional items are welcome.

A current snapshot of today's agenda is below. Hope to see you there!

-----

Agenda:
  • Agenda Bash
  • Administrative
  • () Publishing "Automation Tools by Institution", mentioned previously in channel. Thoughts on location or otherwise? Confluence provides light authentication.
Untouched topics moved forward from previous meeting
  • How does everyone handle network engineers who code versus an exprienced developer? It's easy to write a script but how do we roll full blown automation solutions that are easy to maintain. Similar to above^^^
  • What metrics are organizations using to justify the resources needed to implement automation?
  • Learn about what parts of their network are prioritized for automation, if any.+
  • Interested in the How to get started , establishing SSOT's, what are simple ways to get started. What are most common items people have in their SSOT
  • What are people doing to help get existing network engineers excited about using automation instead of logging into each router / switch to manage? +++
  • In the same topic, how do you then document automation solutions and train staff in a consistent way?
  • Any ideas how to make a reduction of the network that is still topologically significant? I.e. test on far fewer devices than the actual network.
  • How are people handling reconciling direct devices changes (or via NSO,etc) with their SoT?
  • How are people managing Infrastructure data (devices, rack elevations, cables, sites, etc)?
  • Does anyone have self-service functions exposed to users?
  • What tools and techniques are people using for monitoring their networks?

-----
Shannon Byrnes
Network Services - Infrastructure Systems & Software

  • Reminder: NTAC Network Automation SIG Monthly, Shannon Byrnes, 04/06/2023