ngi-2019-07 - Important information re: upcoming OESS migrations

Subject: NGI Community Planning Workshop - 07-2019

Important information re: upcoming OESS migrations

  • From: Linda Roos <>
  • To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Cc: Chris Robb <>, Matt Zekauskas <>, Chris Wilkinson <>
  • Subject: Important information re: upcoming OESS migrations
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 20:32:21 +0000

Hi,
Please see below for an important message from Chris Robb regarding the upcoming migrations of OESS connections, including Cloud Connect connections. We appreciate your attention to this message and please let us know what questions you have. Thanks.
Linda

Dear OESS/Cloud Connect Portal User:

Please read this important notification carefully and share it with colleagues needing awareness of these migrations.

As you are likely aware, Internet2 has been transitioning services from its legacy Juniper platform to the new NGI 400Gbps Cisco-based platform. We are now ready to begin the migration of the OESS connections, including Cloud Connect connections, to the new network. The process will begin Monday, October 11, 2021. OESS connections will be moved one at a time so as not to disrupt any redundancies. We will also attempt to schedule the migrations  such that no two circuits for a given workgroup are scheduled back to back.

As an important note, when we start this migration process on October 11, 2021, we will need to move the ACLs that control access to OESS connection creation, editing and deleting from your Connector’s Juniper port to the new Cisco port. This is to ensure that any new OESS connection creations made after October 11, 2021 are made on the new NGI network. Once we move those ACLs on October 11, 2021, any existing OESS connections won’t be directly editable by OESS users until after they have been migrated to the NGI network. We are expecting to do the vast majority of OESS connection migrations over a 4-5 day period. However, if you do need to edit an OESS connections in that timeframe, you can still contact the Internet2 NOC for assistance.

This initial migration window will include all point-to-point OESS connections and L3VPNs. There are a handful of multipoint circuits that will need to migrate at a later date that is yet to be determined. We are expecting a software update from Cisco in early October that will provide the needed support for the multipoint circuits. Once we certify and deploy the code, we will schedule those multipoint circuit moves. We are targeting mid-October for completion of that code work, so those migrations may happen the following week. Contact the Internet2 NOC for assistance with any changes to multipoint circuits after October 11, 2021 until the multipoint circuit migrations are completed.

We will shortly be sending out targeted notifications to all the workgroup contacts associated with each OESS connection with a more specific evening window. We will need your help in reviewing the list of connections in those notifications for any timing issues on your end. We expect that each migration will take roughly 1-2 minutes to complete. Given that OESS is a dynamically provisioned system by the Internet2 community, it’s likely there will be some OESS connections that are added (or removed) between when notifications are generated and when we begin the migration, so there will likely be a few rounds of migrations to work through all of them.

In the meantime, we are analyzing the list of OESS connections to clean out anything that looks like it may be abandoned. This includes connections that land on ports that are administratively down or otherwise marked as unavailable. We will be notifying OESS connection owners of any removal shortly.

Thank you for your attention while we improve the OESS service and expand the available bandwidth across the network.

-Chris Robb
Internet2, Director of Network Operations and Engineering

Linda Roos
Sr Director, State and Regional Networks
Internet2

812-558-0615

  • Important information re: upcoming OESS migrations, Linda Roos, 10/01/2021