netsec-sig - [netsec-sig] Blog entry and... TECHEX!

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[netsec-sig] Blog entry and... TECHEX!

  • From: Adair Thaxton <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [netsec-sig] Blog entry and... TECHEX!
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 12:47:45 -0400

Hello, security folk! I hope you're all coming off a nice relaxing long weekend.

I forgot to send my August blog entry when it was published: https://internet2.edu/security-scene-august-2021-edition/ And of course, now that I look at the date, it's time to work on the September edition!

Internet2 is planning to host an online TechEXtra this December, and we would LOVE to get some of your proposals (https://internet2.edu/techextra21/techextra21-call-for-proposals/#security)! We're working with the expectation of a 2-3 day event, with a max of 4 hours each day, and a portion of that time will be for community presentations. I don't have any guidelines for you on how long we're hoping for presentations to be, so proposals for talks both long and short would be appreciated.

To put it mildly, I'm sure it's been an interesting past year and a half for all of us in network security, and historically, "lessons learned" presentations have been quite popular.

Requisite copy/paste begins here:

Convene Virtually, Connect Globally This Fall: Welcome to TechEXtra21!

We’re excited to offer a wide selection of opportunities for the Internet2 and InCommon technical community to convene virtually through small bites of the Technology Exchange experience that we dubbed “TechEXtras."

https://www2.internet2.edu/l/66332/2021-09-01/f211sc

We Want to Hear From You!

During this year’s TechEXtra21 series, we want you, our community partners, to tell your stories. We are seeking community proposals (https://www2.internet2.edu/l/66332/2021-09-01/f211s9) to round out the fall programming and we welcome your ideas!

Submit a proposal (https://www2.internet2.edu/l/66332/2021-09-01/f211s9) now and be a part of this quality online experience this fall. We're seeking your ideas in the following areas of interest:

Research Engagement and Innovation: https://internet2.edu/techextra21/techextra21-call-for-proposals/#research

Advanced Networking: https://internet2.edu/techextra21/techextra21-call-for-proposals/#networking

Information Security: https://internet2.edu/techextra21/techextra21-call-for-proposals/#security

Cloud Infrastructure and Services: https://internet2.edu/techextra21/techextra21-call-for-proposals/#cloud

Identity and Access Management: https://internet2.edu/techextra21/techextra21-call-for-proposals/#iam

​​​​​​Sharing Our Successes and Challenges

Over the last 18 months, the research and education community has addressed constant and changing conditions – the shift to remote teaching and learning, working from home, planning for an in-person return to the classrooms, securing and improving your infrastructure, workforce development and upskilling, and managing ever-changing safety guidelines – just to name a few.

There are myriad stories to tell and lessons for you to share. Although we are not able to meet in person this fall, we can and will continue to meet virtually to share, teach, and learn from each other through the series of TechEXtras.

Scheduled events this fall include CAMP (see below), perfSONAR Day, and a multi-day NGI-centric gathering in December. Be sure to check the TechEXtra schedule regularly (https://www2.internet2.edu/l/66332/2021-09-01/f211sc) as we will be adding content throughout the fall and watch your inbox and socials for announcements.

CAMP Week is Back This Fall

​​​​​InCommon and GÉANT will gather the identity and access management community on October 4-8, 2021, for CAMP Week: the virtual identity and access management meetings CAMP and ACAMP. Find out more and register for CAMP Week now. https://www2.internet2.edu/l/66332/2021-09-01/f211sh

Want to learn more about why CAMPing in the fall can help your community, your campus and your career? Take this quick quiz to find out! https://www2.internet2.edu/l/66332/2021-09-01/f211sp

Fall 2021 I2 Online Highlights

Stay tuned for more event announcements coming later this month. In addition to the TechEXtra21 series, we've got some great programming you won't want to miss, and featured recordings of past events from 2020 and 2021. Check out the I2 Online calendar now! https://www2.internet2.edu/l/66332/2021-09-01/f211sr

If you have any other questions or comments about the event or future programming, please email

See full slate of Internet2 fall event programming: https://www2.internet2.edu/l/66332/2021-09-01/f211sr

  • [netsec-sig] Blog entry and... TECHEX!, Adair Thaxton, 09/07/2021