netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] Sept 16 meeting notes

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] Sept 16 meeting notes

  • From: Andrew Gallo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] Sept 16 meeting notes
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 16:00:53 -0400

I'll share my ideas for RPKI invalids notification with the list.  Still a bit unstructured at this point, but maybe they'll spark some discussion....
1. Weekly routing table report for the R&E table similar to the report that gets sent to NANOG each Friday
	Number of prefixes in the table
	Number of ASNs seen
	RPKI valid/unknown/invalid counts/percent
	**List of invalid prefixes
2. Slack integration (like BGP alerter)
	This would take some development work.  not sure how much
3. Router web proxy button
	Steve mentioned enhancements to the router proxy.
	Maybe we could have an additional command such as:
		show route aspath-regex ".* ASN .*" validation-state invalid terse
	Users could run this to see all prefixes originating from their ASN that are invalid

4. Log Monitoring
	Enable tracing on validation sessions on the routers:
		routing-options validation traceoptions flag policy
	results in log messages that look like:
		Sep 17 11:34:52.547102 rv_get_policy_state: rt 2c0f:f6d0:a6::/48 origin-as 327687, validation result invalid
	Maybe this makes #2 easier?  Not sure what load it places on the routers

5. CLI method
	There's a quick method using whois against bgpmon:
		whois -h whois.bgpmon.net " --roa 4901 162.250.136.0/22"
		0 - Valid
		whois -h whois.bgpmon.net " --roa 4901 162.250.136.0/23"
        	2 - Not Valid: Invalid Prefix-Length
	Effort- we would need to setup our own WHOIS service

One thing that occurs to me- if we start dropping invalids, then #4 may be the only method to detect such errors.

Thanks