netsec-sig - [Security-WG] Monthly update!

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] Monthly update!

  • From: Adair Thaxton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] Monthly update!
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 18:17:06 +0000

Happy new year, and I hope you all had a fantastic Festivus.

Seems like it's been much longer than just a few weeks ago, but I wanted
to send a recap of the discussions at our working group meeting at TechEx.

* We talked about the changes to BGPmon.  Dave Farmer shared with us
some pricing he'd seen from Cisco.  There are currently three tiers.
There is no free tier (though one is being discussed for education).
The basic tier, at $10/prefix/month, gets alerting and one day of data
retention.  The $25/prefix/month and $40/prefix/month tiers get you
additional data retention time and more advanced alarms.  Note that
those are list prices, so it's a fair assumption that any discounts you
already receive would apply here.
* An argument be made that the service is worth the cost, despite the
fees.  It's been a valuable service for a long time, and you should
still consider it if you've relied heavily on it in the past.
* If you want to consider free alternatives, you can look at ARTEMIS,
bgpalerter, and bgpstream.  All are available on Github.
* An overview of the alternatives we've looked at can be found in the
slides from my presentation.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1vYKEeQAZdvEZ_rZRXdYw_MD2Ya6fqj7YkMtovoYkEpw/edit?usp=sharing

* The TLD for .org was sold.

* Steven Wallace described the extent to which many in our community
able unable to deploy RPKI due to lack of current agreement with ARIN.
Steven's data showed that roughly 2/3rds of Internet2 higher-ed members
lack the required agreement with ARIN.  To improve our community's
ability to deploy RPKI, Internet2 is planning an outreach campaign to
promote awareness and understanding of this issue with the stakeholders
and decision-makers at individual institutions.

* We ended with a rousing debate on password policies, because we seemed
to be getting pretty far in the weeds with the ARIN discussion.

Our next WG meeting will be at Global Summit in Indianapolis, in less
than three short months (March 29 - April 1).
https://meetings.internet2.edu/2020-global-summit/  Hope to see you all
there!

Adair