netsec-sig - [Security-WG] Seeking advice on BCP for ROAs....

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] Seeking advice on BCP for ROAs....

  • From:
  • To:
  • Cc: Jon Worley <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] Seeking advice on BCP for ROAs....
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 09:58:26 -0400

Greetings hive mind:

I'm seeking input to develop a best practice for creating ROAs for IP
networks that are protected by a cloud-based scrubbing provider that
announces a scrubbed prefix as originating from their AS.

Here's an example of the dilemma:

129.79.0.0/16 has a normal origin AS of 87. Assume IU normally announces the
entire /16. During a DDoS attack, however, Zenedge might announce a more
specific, say 129.79.5.0/24, with an origin of AS393676.

Should IU's ROAs include one that associates 129.79.0.0/16 with AS87 and a
second ROA that includes 129.79.0.0/16 - 24 associated with AS393676?

Should IU consider putting in place a monitoring system that alerts if
there's a discrepancy between what zenedge is scrubbing and what's being seen
in the global table?

And given that IU's RON may be prepending AS towards its transit providers,
is there something else that we should watch to detect a possible hi-jack
attempt were the hijacker is using IU's AS as the origin, but relying on a
shorter path?

Thanks,

Steve (member of the hive)