netsec-sig - [Security-WG] TechEx call for participation!

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] TechEx call for participation!

  • From: Adair Thaxton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] TechEx call for participation!
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 17:17:00 +0000

Hi friends!

The call for participation is open for TechEx until May 17. Please see
this link:
https://meetings.internet2.edu/2019-technology-exchange/call-participation/#infosec

One of the things that makes our community unique is that we all get the
special joy of receiving hundreds or thousands of brand-new users every
August / September. If your organization is doing something unique to
train, onboard, or raise security awareness among those students, please
submit a proposal!

Similarly, how are you working with your researchers to ensure best
practices and compliance with security policies? How have you
negotiated terms to "get out of the way" while protecting your network
and data? Please submit a proposal!

Of course, the cloud is a big deal, and I know a lot of us are concerned
with how we can evaluate, track, maintain, and especially SECURE our
organizations' cloud projects. Emory, IU, and WUSTL did a great
presentation at Global Summit on steps they're taking in that sphere.
If you're doing anything cool, please submit a proposal!

What lessons has your organization learned about scaling network
security devices with our ever-increasing bandwidth demands? How are
you heading off attacks before they get to your users? If you're doing
something innovative (like Jesse and STINGAR - ahem, Jesse!), please
submit a proposal!

Are your students doing anything new and exciting? One of our most
positively-received sessions at TechEx was the session with UCF's
Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition Team, talking about how they
prepare and practice for hacking competitions, and the opportunities
that have opened up for them as a result. You know our students are
whip-smart and very creative, so please encourage mentors and faculty
members to submit proposals!

What new tools are you using, or have you built? How are you working
with your network team or identity management team to more efficiently
and securely integrate these necessary functions? Are you revamping
password policies, implementing or moving away from agent-based tools,
modifying wireless security implementations? What security projects
have taken you several months to plan and implement, could we learn from
your experience?

Please think about what you could submit, run ideas by your management
chains and associated groups, and work with your researchers and
professors. I'd love to see a variety of proposals by May 17!

Love,
Adair

  • [Security-WG] TechEx call for participation!, Adair Thaxton, 04/24/2019