netsec-sig - [Security-WG] March update!

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] March update!

  • From: Adair Thaxton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] March update!
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 15:25:46 +0000

We hope to see you at our working group meeting at Global Summit on
Wednesday at noon in Marquis Ballroom Salon 10! See below for the agenda.

Internet2 had a very productive conversation about cloud strategy,
including security, with UNC-CH, Duke, and NCSU.  Are you aware of the
CloudWiki at https://bit.ly/cloudwiki and the educause cloud constituent
group?  Check them out before you try to reinvent the wheel at your
institutions, although I know we all like to have our very own special
bespoke wheels.

Several members of our team attended NANOG75 this past month, and two of
us attended an RPKI session at Cloudflare.

Adair's interesting security article for the month:
https://www.devcondetect.com/blog/2019/2/24/hacking-group-using-polyglot-images-to-hide-malvertsing-attacks

Here is our proposed agenda for the working group meeting at Global Summit.

- Working group charter updates.  Please review the latest version of
the charter with minor updates here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WeQo4R-4KIvkXyO9aZrW_FvhXce9XaSUNBsnQN1x4OQ/edit?usp=sharing
- RFC1918 blocking at ingress
- BGPMon alternatives
- STINGAR honeypots and reputation blocking on Duke's campus
- What should be added to the wiki?  Did you know it exists?
https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/spaces/viewspace.action?key=SWG
- Update router security templates / pointers to existing
resources?
- What resources would benefit overall routing security (i.e.
RADIUS
instead of shared logins) and how can we advise the community on those?
- Mini-steps towards MANRS - While joining MANRS can be complicated,
I'd like each institution to take a baby step in that direction.  We can
discuss what that baby step will be.

Adair

  • [Security-WG] March update!, Adair Thaxton, 03/04/2019