netsec-sig - [Security-WG] February update

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] February update

  • From: Adair Thaxton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] February update
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 18:41:08 +0000

Happy February!  You have nine days to make dinner reservations and get your person a gift, if you're into that sort of thing.

BGPMon has announced an End-of-Life date of March 20, 2020.  Many of our members have reported using this service.  It is supposed to be being replaced by Cisco Crosswork.  More information is here: https://bgpmon.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BGPMon.net-EOL-EOS-faq.pdf

Internet2 is working on setting up a BGP Flowspec lab internally - hat tip to Mark Brochu for leading that initiative.  We're evaluating GoBGP and Firewall-on-Demand.

We continue to look at how we can best block RFC1918 at ingress.  I'm sure none of you will be surprised to hear that we've run into some implementation complications that require further analysis as to the best path forward.  We anticipate sending a 7-day notice in advance of the changes, and that will be communicated in the future.

Adair