netsec-sig - [Security-WG] RE: Internet2 border anti-spoofing

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] RE: Internet2 border anti-spoofing

  • From: Michael Hare <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] RE: Internet2 border anti-spoofing
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 14:35:02 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Tread carefully, for there be dragons.

I will assume you are concerned about the possibility of access from an unauthorized source or some sort of resource exhaustion.

I will also assume reasonable best practices are being followed for lo0 protection (checking source IPs, etc) and dropping fragmented packets.

For now AS 3128 blocks (fw filter) on ingress untrusted connections subnets I have set aside for backbone point to points, loopbacks and management server subnets.  About your specific filter, I would replace border-localv4-subnets with the entire CIDR you use for point to points AND whatever point to points have been given to you by peers/connectors.  I keep this list sync'd across all of our ASBR's.  This will address some of the asymmetry issues.

I am moving towards pushing device management into an L3VPN (fxp0 looped back to front facing ports).  End goal is to put a deny on world reachable inet0 and inet6 lo0 for things like (S)FTP, SNMP, SSH, HTTP(S), etc.  As a bonus you can also use MPLS QoS to make sure this class of traffic survives (is prioritized) during congestion.

We haven't yet moved our customer/connectors/transit out of the main table but if I had them inside a L3VPN like I2 I might be willing/curious to try dropping IGP and label distribution protocols at the border as well [or at least investigate the feasibility of doing so with the 'log accept' approach]

I will also reiterate that looking into Juniper's ddos-protection control plane policing scheme is a valuable tool that doesn't replace these ACLs but augments resiliency for what gets admitted.  The approach is simple if not time consuming; collect, analyze, deploy, monitor, adjust.

-Michael