netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] I2 - draft RFC 7454 Survey from the Technolocy Exchange session

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] I2 - draft RFC 7454 Survey from the Technolocy Exchange session

  • From: Steven Wallace <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] I2 - draft RFC 7454 Survey from the Technolocy Exchange session
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 09:48:17 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:aGI4dBC8v/Dpm52f81kGUyQJP3N1i/DPJgcQr6AfoPdwSP3zpsbcNUDSrc9gkEXOFd2Crakb26yL6Ou5BCQp2tWojjMrSNR0TRgLiMEbzUQLIfWuLgnFFsPsdDEwB89YVVVorDmROElRH9viNRWJ+iXhpRMMFw/ANQtpK6GwM8aSyp3vj6Hhs6HUNh5FjyenYK9jaQq5hQTXqsQMh4Z+cOA8xgaajGFPfrFt2W52KFTboB/44s678dY36D9Pk/M8scNMTPOpLOwDUbVEAWF+YCgO78rxuEyGFFPX6w==

For cases where MD5 is the only viable option, ensuing a good password (e.g.,
not something in a rainbow table) would mitigate this risk. In this use case
it’s the password you want to protect, weaknesses related to modifying the
packet such that there’s a hash collision aren’t something to worry about (at
least I think).

ssw