netsec-sig - [Security-WG] proposed final working charter...

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] proposed final working charter...

  • From: Steven Wallace <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Paul Howell <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] proposed final working charter...
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:41:37 -0400

I propose we accept the following as our charter. I cleaned it up a bit and dropped some content that could go elsewhere. Upon hearing no objections, I’ll ask Paul to assist in putting on the wiki. If you have input, I can make changes. Also, we can always change later, after it’s posted

thanks,

ssw

Internet2 Security Working Group
Charter

Introduction

Network-based threats that can disrupt the operation of networks, and the hosts and services they connect, have become more sophisticated, potentially more harmful, and profoundly more challenging to mitigate. The Internet2 backbone, its members’ regional and campus networks, and the “commodity” Internet, provide both attack vectors and targets for these network-based attacks. These threats put our members’ ability to support teaching and learning, research, and collaboration, at risk, as well as sensitive institutional and personal information. In short, they can disrupt nearly all member activities. The Security WG will provide a point of organization around which our community can best address these threats.

Mission and Scope:

The WG seeks to:
  • Improve community awareness and understanding of network-based threats, and their implications.
  • Engage in formal and informal collaborations with Internet2 members. These collaborations may include research, pilot implementations, standards development, policy development, etc.
  • Assist Internet2 in developing threat mitigation services that can serve its members.

Participation

WG participation is open to all Internet2 members. The WG envisions a range of participants from individuals learning about network-based threats, to highly structured collaborations that may include teams from multiple members.

  • [Security-WG] proposed final working charter..., Steven Wallace, 09/08/2015