ndt-users - NDT tests fail if the client has a reverse DNS entry but no forward DNS entry

Subject: ndt-users list created

NDT tests fail if the client has a reverse DNS entry but no forward DNS entry

  • From: Chris Welti <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: NDT tests fail if the client has a reverse DNS entry but no forward DNS entry
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 09:14:26 +0100

Dear NDT developers,

One of our customers noticed that NDT tests to our server
(http://ndt.switch.ch) fail
if the IP address of the client has a reverse DNS entry (PTR) but no forward
DNS (A record)
for the returning value of the PTR record.

e.g. (this is just an example, there is no such DNS entries currently)
153.109.180.4 has a reverse DNS entry 4.180.109.153.in-addr.arpa. which
points to 4-180-109-153-rev.idiap.ch
however, 4-180-109-153-rev.idiap.ch does not have an A record, so a lookup
will return a NXDOMAIN.

In this case, the NDT java applet will hang at the C2S throughput test.
The command line tool 'web100clt' will report "Protocol Error!" after about 1
minute.

When there is no reverse DNS entry for the IP address of the host at all,
there is no problem.
It seems to me that's an unwanted behaviour and should be fixed.
Is this bug already known?

Btw, this is using NDT server v3.6.4.

Regards,
Chris

SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities
Chris Welti, Network Engineer
Werdstrasse 2, P.O. Box, 8021 Zurich, Switzerland
phone +41 44 268 15 30, fax +41 44 268 15 68

http://www.switch.ch

  • NDT tests fail if the client has a reverse DNS entry but no forward DNS entry, Chris Welti, 12/06/2012