ndt-users - Re: I got kernel panic after i reboot into the web100 kernel

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: I got kernel panic after i reboot into the web100 kernel

  • From: Alan Whinery <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: I got kernel panic after i reboot into the web100 kernel
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 07:49:25 -1000

The kernel is trying to find its root partition in a place where it
doesn't find it.

If you can't currently boot, you may do some fact-finding about the disk
arrangement with a Live CD -- the Ubuntu 9.1 has a "try Ubuntu without
installing" option for instance, or you can use a rescue CD. If you can
boot, just use your non-web100 kernel. There is voluminous help for
this exact situation on the web, Google for "Unable to mount root fs".
Boot up and find out what device the root is apparently on, and what
device the kernel wants it to be on (rdev /boot/vmlinuz.yourkernel). You
may be able to discern what device to point at and then feed the root=
on boot with enough to get you going.

Once booted, you should be able to change the kernel's rdev pointer or
simply edit your Grub or Lilo config to prefer another. You will also
have to edit /etc/fstab.