ndt-users - Re: "The connection is sender limited x% of the time"

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: "The connection is sender limited x% of the time"

  • From: Peter Van Epp <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: "The connection is sender limited x% of the time"
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:06:11 -0700

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 04:58:14PM -0400, Clarke Morledge wrote:
> I need some help decoding the "This connection is sender limited x% of
> the time", particularly when the value of x is greater than 80%.
>
> What does the statement actually mean, and what are some potential
> troubleshooting remedies?

<snip>
> The theoretical network limit is 2344.96 Mbps
> The NDT server has a 16384.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to
> 54340.90 Mbps
> Your PC/Workstation has a 65.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput
> to 107.87 Mbps

The workstation has a smallish buffer 64k against a meg or more for
the server (although it probably isn't affecting output all that much in this
case). Boosting the tcp buffer sizes will help both with this test and
potentially with better performance on high latency high bandwith links.
There is a link (although I don't at remember exactly where :-)) to
instructions for boosting the tcp buffer sizes on various OSes either in NDT
itself or on the NDT website.

Peter Van Epp