ndt-users - RE: Janalize compile problem

Subject: ndt-users list created

RE: Janalize compile problem

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: "Clint Simmons" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Janalize compile problem
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:00:32 -0500

Hi Clint;

The janalyze program is a Java application that improves on the old analyze program. Right now the build process doesn't install anything so the best approach is to

1) cd to the ndt-{ver}/janalyze directory and
2) invoke the "java JAnalyze" command. This will open an X11 window on the desktop.
3) under the "options/snaplogs" tab enter the full path names for the genplot, xplot, and tcptrace commands, and the directory holding any snaplog files. (You will only have snaplog files if you use the --snaplog option on the web100srv process).
4) Under the "File/Load" tab select the NDT log file (web100srv.log is the default). Once this is loaded a list of client IP addresses appears on the left side of the screen. Clicking on any client will fill in data on the right side of the window.

If you used the --snaplog option you can view/plot this data
If you used the --tcpdump option you can view/plot this data
If you used the --cputime option you can view/plot this data too.

As noted above, the JAnalyze program brings up a X11 window to display its results. So does the xplot program used to show the plots. This means that you must either

1) login to the NDT server and start the X-window system and then run the "java JAnalyze" program from an xterm window
or
2) use the X11 remote DISPLAY option to export the window to another system. I typically use SecureCRT for remote access and enable X11 forwarding back to my Windows based PC. I found the Xming program by Colin Harrison at http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes is a small X11 client that will display the X11 windows.

That should get you started. We'll update the NDT docs soon.

Rich