ndt-users - Working with NDT under vmxnet: why is it 10 Mb?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Working with NDT under vmxnet: why is it 10 Mb?

  • From: Maurice Volaski <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Working with NDT under vmxnet: why is it 10 Mb?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:34:53 -0400

Since web100 kernel patches aren't stable enough to run on a system doing other stuff, I've put together a (Gentoo) Linux guest OS on VMWare, which is hosted by (Gentoo) Linux.

The underlying NICs are motherboard-attached Broadcom 5704 and uses the tg3 driver and it's attached to a Cisco 6509 at gigabit. The guest OS is in its own VLAN on the switch.

I've been having weird results with my Mac sometimes testing as if it had a duplex mismatch. I don't know what's causing that. But when it does work (another odd thing is that it sometimes works, sometimes not), NDT insists I have just a 10 Mb connection, even though it's gigabit and it's testing at half its full throughput. Could this have something to do with the vmxnet driver that handles the Ethernet in guest OS?

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 470.75Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 402.88Mb/s