ndt-users - Re: MiddleBox Testing Error

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: MiddleBox Testing Error

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: Clayton Keller <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: MiddleBox Testing Error
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:33:49 -0400

Hi Clay;

At 05:58 PM 8/27/2007, Clayton Keller wrote:
Is it possible to add the -m switch with the current switches in place?

/usr/local/sbin/web100srv -4 -a -m -l /var/log/web100/web100srv.log

Yes, this is a valid set of options. The "-m" flag just says the server can handle multiple clients at the same time.

Like the above, or is there going to be an issue with the -m? I did a quick test and now am getting a protocol error again now that the -m is in place, but could this be a firewall issue?

I suspect a firewall issue. The '-m' option causes the server to user ephemeral ports for the client tests. It simply opens a pair of sockets, grabs the port number the OS assigned and sends those port numbers to the client over the command channel. Having ephemeral ports blocked by a firewall will cause the tests to fail.

Also, is there a place to specify the max number of simultaneous tests. I apologize for all the questions, but it's been about 3 years since the last configuration, and the documentation on my part was less than stellar.

No, there is no explicit option to set the number of simultaneous tests. However, you may be able to do this implicitly using the "--mrange min:max" option. The mrange options lets you specify a range of port numbers that the server can use. Specifying 6 ports may limit you to 3 simultaneously tests. The web100srv man page has the details.

Rich
Clay

Clayton Keller wrote:
It's running now, thanks Rich! I'll continue my tests.
Are there known issues with IPv6 and the current release?
Clay
Richard Carlson wrote:
Hi Clay;

What happens if you force the web100srv process to us IPv4 addresses (add the "-4" option to the command line?

Rich