ndt-users - Re: extremely low throughput on S2C

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: extremely low throughput on S2C

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: , NDT mailing list <>
  • Subject: Re: extremely low throughput on S2C
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:13:21 -0400

Hi Itamar;

The NDT system was designed to provide more details than just the achieved speed between the client and server. It obtains a wealth of information from the Web100 variables that can explain what the TCP stack was actually doing during the test. To start the debugging process do the following:

1) run a test from a browser or if using the command line client us the -ll option (web100clt -lln server) to get all the details.

2) Look at the main page, what does the "slowest link in the end-to-end path" message say? Does it agree with what you expect?

3) Are there any other messages printed on the main page?

4) click on the "Statistics" button. What does this page say? Look at the "Round trip time" value, is it reasonable? How about packet loss/retransmission rates. How much time was spend in the "connection stalled" state? Where was the server spending most of its time (sender, receiver, or network limited).

5) click on the "More Details" button. This give you a list of web100 variables and there values. What was the MaxCwnd value? Scroll down to the bottom of this window, what is the "theoretical network limit"?

6) logon to the ndt server and look at the /usr/local/ndt/web100srv.log file. Every test is recorded in this log file using a comma (,) separated list. A sample extract is "Aug 2 08:53:33,71.239.149.252,952,8679,1510," This is a test I just ran from my home PC using a cable modem link. The variables are
date/time of test
Clients IP address
s2c speed with limited Cwnd (952 Kbps here)
s2c speed with unlimited Cwnd (8.7 Mbps here)
c2s speed (1.5 Mbps here).

If the Cwnd limited s2c speed is greater than the Cwnd unlimited speed, then look for a duplex mismatch condition somewhere in the path.

Feel free to send these details to the list and we can help you interpret the results.

Rich