ndt-users - Re: Getting Protocol Error.

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Getting Protocol Error.

  • From: Jeremy Schafer <>
  • To: Richard Carlson <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Getting Protocol Error.
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 00:15:20 -0400

comments inline...

Richard Carlson wrote:
It looks like the server is failing to find the proper web100 connection ID so the limits are not being set/used. The server process sends data to the stack faster than the stack can sent it out on the network. Thus a queue builds up in the server (you should see this with a netstat -nat command) so when the 5 sec send timer expires there is still data in the queue that needs to be sent to the client. The client's watchdog timer is reached and it kills the client, while the server is still in trying to deliver the packets. Finally the server's watchdog timer goes off, and the server exits.

It didn't dawn on me to add that to the symptoms list. I noticed the queue filling up on the server, whether it be ipv6 or ipv4. If there is a next time, I will make a note of it. Thanks!

There are a couple of options we can take to work around this problem, and I'll experiment with them to see what works best. I'll push out a new test version soon and let you know when it's ready.

I am willing to experiment if you need a guinea pig. Let me know what you want to test. My server is in the next room over so logistically it isnt a problem.

PS thanks for the script patch, I really appreciate patches and updates that help make the tool better for the community.

Anytime.

  • Re: Getting Protocol Error., Jeremy Schafer, 08/01/2007