ndt-users - NDT 3.3.12 - IPv6 support/choice in the applet

Subject: ndt-users list created

NDT 3.3.12 - IPv6 support/choice in the applet

  • From: Simon Leinen <>
  • To: Jeremian <>
  • Cc: Richard Carlson <>,
  • Subject: NDT 3.3.12 - IPv6 support/choice in the applet
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:57:48 +0200

I really like NDT 3.3.12, and have upgraded our "production" server
(http://ndt.switch.ch/) two days ago. So far nobody complained.

One thing that I think could be improved is IPv6 support, in
particular with the applet. Personally I have never succeeded in
making the applet use IPv6 - although I'm sure that my browser/applet
configuration (Mozilla 1.7 and Java 2 1.5.0.7 on Solaris 11 snapshot)
supports IPv6 just fine, it always prefers IPv4 - anybody knows how to
change this?

When I run the Tcpbw100.jar as an application, I can make it use IPv6
either by specifying the server as a literal IPv6 address, or by
passing `-Djava.net.preferIPv6Addresses=true' to the java command.

But it is very hard to even find out which of IPv4 or IPv6 has been
used, although this information could be easily retrieved by the
(applet) client or the server. The C client (web100clt) does this
well by saying "using IPv(4|6) address" right at the beginning.

Ideally, I would like the applet to behave like this:

If ONLY IPv4 (will be common) or ONLY IPv6 (unlikely in the near term)
is available between client and server, then just run the test as
today, and don't confuse the user by talking about IP protocol
versions.

If both the client and the server have both IPv4 and IPv6, then
visibly offer the user the choice. I don't have a firm opinion on
what should be the DEFAULT - measure IPv4, IPv6, or both, but there
should be an explicit choice with a default.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion to further improve a great system.

(At least I think it would be an improvement.)

Regards,
--
Simon.

  • NDT 3.3.12 - IPv6 support/choice in the applet, Simon Leinen, 08/30/2006