ndt-users - ***** NPAD/pathdiag released *****

Subject: ndt-users list created

***** NPAD/pathdiag released *****

  • From: Matt Mathis <>
  • To: NDT users <>
  • Subject: ***** NPAD/pathdiag released *****
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:08:29 -0400 (EDT)

Our latest network diagnostic tool "pathdiag" is now available for download.

If you are running NDT with a reasonably current kernel (at least Linux
2.6.13
and Web100 2.5.5), this should just take a few minutes to drop in.

From the abstract:
The NPAD diagnostic server, Pathdiag, is designed to easily and accurately
diagnose problems in the last-mile network and end-systems that are the most
common causes of poor network performance over long end-to-end paths. Our
goal is to make the test procedures easy enough and the report it generates
clear enough to be suitable for end-users who are not networking experts. In
most situations a single test run, launched from a web page, will generate a
report that enumerates all problems affecting downloading (fetching) of data
from a remote site. Although the report contains extensive explanations of the
results, we do not assume that end-users will be able to correct network
problems themselves. The reports include guidance to help end-users properly
engage a system or network administrator and the necessary information to help
the administrator locate the problem.

End user documentation:
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/pathdiag/

Server administrator documentation (including download and install):
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/pathdiag/siteadmin.php

Server administrator discussion and support:
(User should not go to this list.)

In the long run, we plan to unify NDT and pathdiag, so you will not have to
run
multiple servers.

Thanks,
--MM--
Matt Mathis http://www.psc.edu/~mathis
Work:412.268.3319 Home/Cell:412.654.7529
Evil is defined by people who think they know
"The Truth" and use force to apply it to others.

  • ***** NPAD/pathdiag released *****, Matt Mathis, 05/23/2006