ndt-users - Middlebox detector based on NDT

Subject: ndt-users list created

Middlebox detector based on NDT

  • From: Jeremian <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Middlebox detector based on NDT
  • Date: 25 Apr 2006 20:07:21 +0200

Hello.

I'm preparing the application for the Summer of Code 2006 program.

My project title: Middlebox detector based on NDT

I have read the mailing list archive and looked into the code. I have
prepared the list of things that should be done (not in particular
order):
* enhance the NDT tool to be flexible and even more useful network
diagnostic tool.
* make it highly modular and easily configurable
* design the signatures-based system for the underlying network
topology recognition
* create the set of tests able to retrieve the valuable information
needed to build signatures
* add the possibility to specify port range in -m option
* add the '-T' option to set the refresh time of the admin page
* add the size of the web100srv.log to the Admin.html page
* limit the amount of data the server is generating without impacting
the throughput test
* add the detailed description of each Web100 variable to the clients
* add the possibility to configure fakewww server (for example adding
new pages/files) without the need of recompiling src/fakewww.c
* add the possibility to reset admin page stats without the need to
restart NDT server
* add the support for ipv6
* fix printing the IP addresses (the problems with byte ordering)
* (optional) implement the future enhancements from ndt-cookbook:
- IEEE 802.11 (WiFi) Detection
- Faulty Hardware Link Detection
- Full/Half Link Duplex Setting
- Normal Congestion Detection
* update the documentation and usage messages (for example '-c' option
is not displayed in the usage screen)
* clean up the code

I will be grateful for any comments/suggestions. If you want some
features to be added or some bugs to be fixed, please send a mail to
this list. I'm opened for all the community ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Jakub Sławiński.

  • Middlebox detector based on NDT, Jeremian, 04/25/2006