ndt-users - NDT offering up unusually slow results...

Subject: ndt-users list created

NDT offering up unusually slow results...

  • From: Phil Reese <>
  • To:
  • Subject: NDT offering up unusually slow results...
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:55:12 -0700

All,

From notes from several users and my own experience, I've found that my NDT server seems to greatly underrate inbound (server to client) bandwidth. However, from my campus machine, the speeds (inbound and outbound) seem about right and consistent with tests just after I deployed the new server.

As a data point, I've run the NDT test and gotten results and then run a DSL reports speed test. The DSL report site usually gives me the speed I believe I have at my home via cable modem, while NDT reports drastically different results.

For example:

NDT
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 757Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 2.78Mb/s

DSL Reports
Upload 768K
Download 7.34M

Also, NDT provides an extra line suggesting that setting my received buffer to a different value would give better results. Originally, I was getting results via NDT very similar to the DSL numbers and no additional commentary on the receiver buffer size.

Any ideas what might have happened or is happening with my server?

I've rebooted and stopped and restarted the services several times. I'm using 5.3.3e version of the frontend.

Any help would be appreciated!

Phil Reese
Stanford