ndt-users - Re: ndt on copper gig

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: ndt on copper gig

  • From: Peter Van Epp <>
  • To: Richard Carlson <>,
  • Subject: Re: ndt on copper gig
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:36:45 -0700

Interrupt moderation is reasonably likely, since its an Intel chip
set and it should support it, and a linux 2.6 kernel. The fibre card that
works is an older SysKonnect that interrupts for every packet (or at least the
kernel said it was disabled and I assumed because the card can't do it).
Since
we won't be chasing something already solved, we can poke at it and see if we
can figure out why its doing it and if there is some may to flag that its
happening. Lixin just told me when he started tcpdump on the same interface
at the same time as an ndt run that it decided this really is a gig link, so
timing looks like a good bet (and/or promiscuous mode on the interface doing
something).

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 04:27:22PM -0400, Richard Carlson wrote:
> Hi Peter;
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I've used copper GigE cards before and never saw
> this error, but that doesn't really tell you anything. My guess is the NIC
> is doing some pacing or packet bunching (maybe interrupt moderation).
>
> The NDT server uses the libpcap utility to timestamp packets as they arrive
iat the interface. These timestamps are put on in the kernel, so it's not