ndt-dev - [ndt-dev] JS UI improvement

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

[ndt-dev] JS UI improvement

  • From: Sebastian Kostuch <>
  • To: "<>" <>
  • Subject: [ndt-dev] JS UI improvement
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:51:05 +0100

Hi,
after investigating current JS UI I think that part which lacks the most of some improvements is the
one showing currently running tests. So most of my proposals will concecrate on this view.
Here is the list of all of my suggestions:
1. I think that what could make present UI more attractive to user are live results.
I mean that during download and upload tests it would be good to show some kind of gauge
presenting speed at current moment.
So during speed tests we could add some kind of speedometer gauge at the center (with the
current results shown within it). During test its indicator will dynamically point at current speed.
2. Move addresses of server and client to the top left and top right part of page accordingly (also
with little smaller font size for labels).
3. "Preparing your tests" text could dissapear right after this stage is completed. Also this information
(and text indicating which test is currently running) would be placed right below gauge. What about
making this text blinking also?
4. After first speed test result would be saved and shown on the bottom-left part of page. Accordingly
after second one proper text will be shown on botom-right (and after a while whole page will dissapear
to show summary one).
5. To make UI nicer we could add some kind of animations on left and right sides of page that will
be graphical representation of currently running speed test. I mean that i.e. during download test
there will be small arrows moving from top to the bottom part of site (or maybe showing one by
one and after some amount of them will be reached then animation will start from beginning).
6. On summary page we could add some small nice looking text field which will show web100/web10g
variables (it will be auto-scrolling and when user clicks on this then he/she will be redirected to
advanced page). Or maybe instead of text field add some small board on which these values will
display and dissapear within set time one by one (or better more at the same time). Maybe good
place for this element would be between "Download speed" result and "Test again" button
(probably both results rectangles need to be made a bit smaller in height to achieve it).
7. Variable's values on advanced page could be displayed in table to make them more legible.

What do you think about such changes? Also I'm receptive to your ideas about what could be
done to make current JS UI look nicer.

Regards,
Sebastian Kostuch

  • [ndt-dev] JS UI improvement, Sebastian Kostuch, 02/26/2014