ndt-dev - [ndt-dev] New NDT client in Flash!

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

[ndt-dev] New NDT client in Flash!

  • From: Tiziana Refice <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Anant Subramanian <>
  • Subject: [ndt-dev] New NDT client in Flash!
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:34:35 +0000

Hi ndt-dev,

TL;DR We developed a Flash client for NDT.
Could you try it out and let us know what you think? It should take less than 1 min.
(You can find in attachment a compiled version, ready to run.)

In the last couple of months, Anant (in cc) and I have been working on a Flash NDT client, as one of the Google Summer of Code projects mentored by M-Lab.
The goal of the project was to build an NDT client that could run in a browser, without using Java and, as far as we know, the only other browser-based technology that allows to open raw sockets (and not just web sockets) is Flash.

The repo includes instructions on how to compile the source code.
For your convenience, I have also attached an already compiled version, which you should be able to run using any browser that supports Flash or directly using a Flash player.

Disclaimers:
1) The client can run against any NDT server with valid Flash socket policy file (see http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/socket_policy_files.html). In the client configuration, we included the name of the only M-Lab server where we have already installed the Flash policy files.
Next, we are going to fully integrate the client with the M-Lab infrastructure, by enabling all the M-Lab servers and by creating a wrapper around the client to automatically select the "best" M-Lab server. However, the client will stay fully independent from the M-Lab-specific wrapper.

2) The client has not been extensively tested. Namely, I tested it on a couple of desktops and laptops running the latest version of Ubuntu, MacOS, Windows, and ChromeOS (browsers: Chrome, Firefox, and Safari). However, I did not have the time to further testing yet. If you run it on other OSes and browsers and have any problems, please let us know.

3) The UI is still pretty ugly. However, we are planning to have a better _javascript_ UI, which can communicate with the Flash client using the JS callbacks.

4) The version in attachment was compiled with the debug flag set to true. That is why the client is so verbose.

Please, let us know if you have any comments/suggestions or if you get any errors.

Thanks!
--Tiziana

  • [ndt-dev] New NDT client in Flash!, Tiziana Refice, 12/12/2013