megaconference - [Megacon] Live from Northern Ireland Mary Montague

Subject: Megaconference

[Megacon] Live from Northern Ireland Mary Montague

  • From: "Haas, John" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Megacon] Live from Northern Ireland Mary Montague
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 01:22:01 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Dear All,

This Thursday March 14th from 9:30-11:00a.m.(PST) Mary Montague will be speaking on Relationships to Reconciliation in Northern Ireland. Please join us. We will be testing equipment tomorrow morning from 8-9:30a.m. PST) if you are interested. You can contact me at if you would like to join us. I have included two links on Ireland for your convenience.

Best wishes,

John

John Haas, Ph.D.

History Professor Cerritos College

Director of the Global Consortium for Sustainable Peace

(562) 860-2451 x2726  Cell# 909 354-2444

2013 National Women’s History Month

Women Inspiring Innovation through Imagination

Live from Northern Ireland!

A Celebration of Mary Montague, Director of Tides

Northern Ireland: Relationships to Reconciliation

Thursday March 14, 2013  9:30a.m.-11:a.m.(PST)

Teleconference Center LC 155

“The recent history of conflict in Northern Ireland has left its mark on the whole society and few

would argue that quick fix solutions can be found to address its multiple legacies. Significant political progress has been achieved. Violence and the threat of violence have greatly reduced and there are indications that people are increasingly willing to break down the long held barriers of mistrust and fear between, and within, communities. Yet much work remains to be done. Northern Ireland remains a deeply divided society, polarized along some of the most institutionalized and embedded of structures - housing, education, social and religious life, sporting and cultural activities - while the evidence points to the expressed desire of many that this were not the case.”(Gráinne Kelly, Progressing Good Relation and Reconciliation).

 Title: Relationships to Reconciliation

Aim:  Building Trust and Respectful Collaborations to enable sustainable Peace.

Mary Montague: “TIDES and my work has always centred on the methodology of  walking alongside communities and supporting the transition away from violence. We belief in supporting communities towards inter community relationships. I strongly acknowledge  that we all make the journey together as my own prejudices are challenged through this work.  I was not born nor have I lived in a vacuum, I carry within me the legacy of our history.

 My programmes have been alongside interface groups (Communities who live beside one another yet divided by a wall or road etc these areas have experienced  extreme suffering and violence  ), women’s groups and prisoners' support groups.  It has extended to include Cultural Organisations, Police, Local Councils and other Statutory Agencies.

From our experience we recognised that essential groundwork with single-identity groups is necessary to build the capacity before any inter-community dialogue can be effective. Our methodology intertwines community capacity building, mediation and systemic peace building.

We will also examine today’s dynamics and how the story of the past effects the peace of the future.”

  • [Megacon] Live from Northern Ireland Mary Montague, Haas, John, 03/10/2013