mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Difference NotOnOrAfter in <SubjectConfirmationData> and <Conditions>

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Difference NotOnOrAfter in <SubjectConfirmationData> and <Conditions>

  • From: "Cantor, Scott E." <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Difference NotOnOrAfter in <SubjectConfirmationData> and <Conditions>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 17:05:06 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 5/2/11 1:00 PM, "Gina Choi"
>Thanks for your response. Sorry, NotOnOrAfter timestamp in the Conditions
>is
>one hour ahead instead of two hours.

I thought you said the confirmation window was the one that was ahead of
the other. That means it's as expected.

> By the way where are the 5 min and 1
>hour coming from? Is this implementation specific?

It's policy and profile specific (or should be).

> Timeframe of NotOnOrAfter
>in SubjectConfirmationData(5min) is much shorter than the one in the
>Conditions(60min).

It should be.

> Because of time off between identity server and relying
>party server can happen, I am thinking that verifying NotONOrAfter in the
>Conditions tag is realistic than the one in the SubjectConfirmation. Your
>advise would be appreciated.

Clock synchronication is a requirement in SAML and most security
protocols. Doing what you propose is wrong, and would be insecure.