mace-opensaml-users - [OpenSAML] Signing SAML Messages - HOWTO Create Signing Credential

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

[OpenSAML] Signing SAML Messages - HOWTO Create Signing Credential

  • From: John Gonzales <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [OpenSAML] Signing SAML Messages - HOWTO Create Signing Credential
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 02:07:14 -0600

Hi there,

I'm following this guide for how to sign a SAML message: https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OSTwoUserManJavaDSIG

However, it doesn't explain how to actually obtain a signing credential with the OpenSAML API.

Here's my implementation of the getSigningCredential method referenced in the guide.

public static Credential getSigningCredential() {
BasicCredential credential = new BasicCredential();
credential.setPrivateKey(null); // HOW?
return credential;
}

I'm not sure how to obtain a PrivateKey, but more generally, I'm not even sure if this how the OpenSAML framework expects the signing credential to be generated.

I've searched around the documentation and have come to a point where some help might be all I need to move forward.

-jg.