mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML/ Weblogic exception -> NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xml/security/Init exception

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML/ Weblogic exception -> NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xml/security/Init exception

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML/ Weblogic exception -> NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xml/security/Init exception
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:51:24 -0500

> Also I added the following jars to the WEB-INF/lib folder:
> catalina-root.jar
> commons-codec-1.3.jar
> jdom.jar
> opensaml-2.2.3.jar
> xmldsig.jar
> xmlsec-2.0.jar
> xmltooling-1.2.0.jar
> and updated weblogic.xml with the following part:
> <wls:container-descriptor>
> <wls:prefer-web-inf-classes>true</wls:prefer-web-inf-classes>
> </wls:container-descriptor>
> All these attempts led me to the same result - runtime exception.
> At this point I think that I need help to resolve this issue.

IIRC, the prefer-web-inf-classes = true means in general you want to
load your app-specific jars in you webapp WEB-INF/lib. That's could. I
think that's preferable.

In that case, to reiterate what Chad said all 20+ (approximately) jars
shipped in the OpenSAML dist's /lib directory need to be added to your
webapp's WEB-INF/lib (and not to any endorsed directory, only the ones
we indicate as such should be endoresed). The above list isn't remotely
complete, I think you're missing a bunch.

But in particular you list:

xmldsig.jar
xmlsec-2.0.jar

I'm not sure what xmldsig.jar is (unless it's maybe a JSR-106 Security
provider jar? which you don't need at all). And the version on the
xmlsec-2.0.jar can not be right, if that is in fact supposed to be the
jar from the Apache Santuario project. There is no v2.0 of that. The
absolute latest release is 1.4.4. I checked and opensaml 2.2.3 which
you are using shipped with xmlsec-1.4.2.jar.

So your dependencies appear to be incomplete and/or messed up. I'd
reassess what you are doing and start over...