mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Reading self signed cert and storing as saml metadata

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Reading self signed cert and storing as saml metadata

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Reading self signed cert and storing as saml metadata
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:27:46 -0500

On 11/16/10 4:17 PM, rangeli nepal wrote:
> One question about X509Util.decodeCertificate(cert.getBytes())
>
> If I use with the cert that has BEGIN and END. it works fine. But If I
> strip it out throws an exception.
> Is there a way to handle it.?

Not that I am aware of. It's just a lightweight wrapper around a call
to org.apache.commons.ssl.TrustMaterial, and as far as I know, it
expects properly formatted PEM data, where the BEGIN and END delimiters
are required (as opposed to just Base64-encoded DER). But feel free to
investigate their library:

http://juliusdavies.ca/commons-ssl/

There might be some other way to read the cert data in that is agnostic
to whether the PEM formatting is there. I haven't done it in awhile,
but something makes me think that the standard Java CertificateFactory
may work that way.